7.06.2006

France vs. Italy

I am excited to watch France play Italy this Sunday (click title above for link). Unfortunately, I'll be landing at the airport in Portland at 11 am that day, which is the start time of the Finals match here on the Pacific coast of the U.S. I guess I'll be watching the match at some airport sports bar. However, I can't wait to watch my new hero Zinedine Zidane (what a great name!!) of France, perhaps the greatest midfielder in recent history, as he tries to help his team find a way to overcome the very talented (although inconsistent, in my opinion) Italian side. It should be a great match. My prediction is 2-1, Italy wins. Having said that, I hope the 34-year-old Zidane shines and finds a way to help his team overcome the odds. I'm not overly partial to either team, in all truth, but if you're a true soccer (futbol) fan, you have to love Zidane!!

As one commentator (Roger Cohen in a video for the New York Times) put it, "Zidane has been absolutely magnificent. He simply sees things that others don't. When everyone else is rushed, he has time. When everybody else doesn't know what to do, he sees the opening. I think it's a gift, you know, you're born with it. You have it or you don't. Nobody can learn what Zidane has and what Zidane has given France."

Last note: I think that's what I want my epitaph to be: "He saw things that others didn't. And when everyone else was rushed, he had time." Not that I've really earned all of that, but it sure sounds good.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home