10.25.2004

Writer-in-Training

I haven't mentioned that I'm a writer-in-training, or perhaps I should say a writer in mid-struggle. So this blog ultimately is supposed to be about me trying to find my way into print after graduating from one of those darned MFA programs for writers this past spring (no, not Iowa, but I learned a lot). I've recently submitted short stories to a number of literary contests. The Greensboro Review, alas, sent me a rejection already. However, there are plenty more entries still in play. The Indiana Review just sent me an acknowledgement e-mail. I have a good feeling about that one, but really, there is so much competition out there, one has to assume the worst and hope for a miracle.

For a great article about one of the best living short story writers, check out my link below to the Alice Munro article from this Sunday's New York Times Magazine. She is Canadian, and very modest, and very important to study if you want to be a short story writer.

Another thing I'm planning to do next month, this November, is participate in National Novel Writing Month, also called NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org/). To be declared a "winner" you have to write 50,000 words from Nov. 1 - 30. I'm determined to make it to the finish line with a decent first draft of a novel.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home