12.29.2004

US Airways Asks Workers to Work for Free

Wow, now US Airways is asking its employees to work for free (i.e. volunteer) over the upcoming New Year's weekend. Here is a quote from today's New York Times:

``If you are an employee scheduled to work in Philadelphia, you will get paid. Aside from that, we are asking for employees to volunteer, in an effort to prepare for a very busy travel period this coming weekend,'' David Castelveter, US Airways spokesman, told Reuters. Volunteers will be asked to meet and greet passengers at the ticket counters, security lines and baggage claim areas, as well as help on the ramp and the in the baggage sorting area.

As mentioned in previous blogs, I got caught up in the US Airways "meltdown" over the holidays. To be fair, I wanted to mention that my luggage was delivered to my front door step last night as promised, and nothing had been tampered with or damaged. So there is a fairly happy ending there. Of course, I did have to spend the night in Philadelphia unexpectedly, and US Airways will not pay for my $99 hotel room ($106 with tax). But I'm just so glad to be home that I barely care at this point.

Still, how can they expect workers to work for free over this upcoming holiday weekend? When did airlines become charities? I guess after 9/11. Obviously it is time for the airlines to rethink how they do business. Meanwhile, US Airways may have to liquidate by mid-January, no joke.

Link

1 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Walt Opie, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on clerical work from home when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on clerical work from home then drop by the site above and check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home