7.28.2005

Charles D'Ambrosio's "Up North"

I just found a link to this tremendous short story by Charles D'Ambrosio that was in a February edition of The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?050214fi_fiction

He read part of "Up North" at the Tin House Summer Writers' Workshop in Portland a few weeks ago. Here's an excerpt:

"Moving against a low sea current of snow, a turkey, its narrow neck bent, came toward us, following the call. Lindy grabbed a spotting scope from one of the packs, adjusting the focus. “It’s got a beard and a half,” he said, passing me the scope. I slipped off my mittens. Steve worked the wooden slat in a new rhythm, as if mating the tempo to his excitement, locating the music of his desire. I looked through the scope and saw the turkey, its long straggling beard and chocolate-brown feathers and beady black eyes, narrowed in a heavy-lidded squint against the blowing snow. I passed the scope to Mr. Jansen and he slid the gun into my hand."

I believe his next book of short stories "The Dead Fish Museum" is coming out later this year or in early 2006. His story "The High Divide" was selected for the 2005 O. Henry Prize Stories. He also has a previous book of stories called "The Point" and the title story of that collection is not to be missed. I'm mentioning all of this just to share my enthusiasm. I predict "The Dead Fish Museum" will be considered an instant classic once it is released.

Link

1 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love 2006 new york auto show then you will want to be there! All kinds of 2006 new york auto show will be in attendance. For more information go to 2006 new york auto show
See Ya There!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home